blog background

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Walker Babes Birth (finally)

Well I can't believe a year has come and gone just like that! people kept telling me the first year of motherhood goes SOO fast.  I never realized it until I was in the situation.  But I will say the first 3-6 months were SLOW and rough at times. But all so worth it.

On January 28th I woke up feeling a little "strange" not in pain or discomfort but i just felt different.  I knew something was going on.  I went to my check up a couple days prior and nothing too crazy was going on down there.. I was a little sad :(  But they do say after the Dr checks you things kinda start happening down there and that's exactly what happened.  At this point I was more stressed about my parents making it up in time and if my labor was going to be fast or slow.  I was so worried they would miss it.  Heavenly father knows whats going on and I look back now and everything was PERFECT and worked out great. BEST experience I have ever had.  I miss it, actually! I know weird right?!?!?! So I woke up and now that I know what real contractions feel like they were SUPER SUPER Mild contractions, they never hurt but it was tightening and then it would release and it was about every 10 mins.  I called my mom and said something is happening and I have a feeling this little guy is coming so you and dad need to get in the car and DRIVE!!!! So she got off work and met my dad at home and they were on their way....Phew!  Around 12 noon they were every 5 minutes. Still not painful. I called Brandon and he of course panicked ;) got right home and I was sitting at the island in our kitchen painting my nails and he was grabbing our stuff in such a rush and saying "BABE WE GOTTA GO!!!!" haha I will never forget that. It was too cute/funny. Because to me I knew it was coming but I was just waiting for the pain to come. So we went to sensuous sandwich for some lunch and got the car washed. (of course) As we got  home I took a bath and that's when they were NOT feeling so great! But I HAD to curl my hair....duh. SO I curled my hair and we were outta there. Its was around 9:30pm and I felt like we couldn't get to the hospital fast enough. OUCHY!!!!! As soon as they asked for my name and if I was in labor I just started crying. haha I was one: pregnant  two: in PAIN  and three: it just hit me that I'm really about to HAVE A BABY!!!! OMG! :) She checked me and I was only 3cm and 90% efaced. I know what a baby right??? but man did it suck..... and I wanted to go natural.....HA! The WORST part was me having to sit there and be on monitors for ONE hour. walking and squatting was helping and when I felt strapped down that was awful!!! If I progressed a cm in one hour then i could stay. THANK GOODNESS I did!!! and then walk in my mom and dad! The best feeling knowing I had my husband, mom, and dad there with me. I got the drugs shortly after that and it was all easy breezy after that. Oh I forgot to tell the part where Brandon and I went to Costco after lunch and I lost my mucous plug there, Ya I know gross... So I called Dr Judd he said "Well your not in pain? well labor is painful your not in labor" ...haha little did he know he would be delivering my baby in less than 24 hours.
Anyways back to the hospital....
I got my epidural at midnight and he was the biggest JERK ever. He told me I was nervous... I wanted to say um ya no S*#@ I'm having a human being come out of my yahoo. DUH......and he didn't have an ounce of compassion in him. We complained and he came back and "apologized"... my nurse was awesome. I loved her and she said he isn't the happiest guy and they have lots of complaints about him. Why do people work in those environments if your grumpy and hate life every day???!?!?!I dont get it! My epidural made me a little nauseous and I had the shakes SO bad. It was weird! I progressed about every hour, which was good I guess. They started me on pitocin around 9 am and my water "kinda" broke and Dr judd came in and really broke it. As soon as I saw him he made me feel so excited. I loved his humor and attitude about everything. He made it sound so simple. Exactly what I needed!
That was at 11am and he said before 1pm I would have this baby. I was at a 10 for about an hour. His motto is "rest and descend" and it worked. He came back around 12:30 and the nurses were getting things ready and he asked them to call the nursery and they were confused. Apparently first time moms can push up to 4 HOURS!!!! he said I would push about 5 mins. They all looked at him like he  was crazy including myself. Well it was true! I think I pushed a total of 5 pushes. 3 pushes during one contraction and two during another and there WAS WALKER BABE 8.24 pounds and 20.5 inches long!!!!
I was so blessed to have some of my most favorite people there. My husband was great and supportive and SO excited,  my mom was well wonderful and helpful, my dad kept the mood light and always kept us laughing, and my best friend Kels, who helped get the biggest ratted mess out of my hair and video taped (which probably scarred her for life :) ) I love them all so much and was so happy they could experience this with me.
It was CRAZY! if you haven't had a baby yet I cant wait for you to and if you have you know exactly what I'm talking about. The most awesome feeling in the world. It still brings tears to my eyes. You have SOOO much love for this little tiny baby.
So Walker cried right away and tore a little spot in his lung :( he also swallowed meconium ( poop) which gave him an infection and then he cried and made it worse!! poor little guy. I didn't know this for awhile though. He was gone and Brandon was with them. I thought he was just giving him a bath. Well come to find out he was in the NICU :(.... When the nurse came in and told us he made it sound like he could NOT make it. Ya that dramatic!!!! As soon as he left the room I started balling. Knowing that my baby wasn't ok and had to stay in the NICU for the whole time I was in the hospital and maybe longer broke my heart.  The ideal situation would of course have your baby in your room and have visitors and everyone yay so happy. Nope not even close. People couldn't even visit him. Brandon was so strong and cute. Come to find out he left the room and called his brother, Cory and started crying! Cory came down and They both gave Walker a blessing. And what a blessing that was. The next day the pediatrician, who we LOVE checked him out and said things are looking better and the day after he was so great he was able to come home with us! SUCH A RELIEF!!! I have so much respect for those moms and dads who have to go visit their sweet little baby in the NICU for days or weeks after. I look back now and I miss it so much! The cute nurses would call me and say "Walkers awake and ready to eat" So I would wake up Brandon and waddle (yes waddle) down to NICU and try to feed him. It wasn't really working but I wouldn't give up. They kept trying to talk me into giving him a formula bottle and i would refuse. Finally after awhile of him NOT eating I gave in. I gave him his bottle and he downed that thing :)... He was a pretty big baby and a little bit funny seeing him in there with teenie tiny babies lol
So even after the not so "ideal" situation I am so grateful for that experience. I am grateful for the wonderful nurses that took care of me and took care of Walker. I knew he was in the best care and even if it didn't turn out to be as serious as we all thought I wouldn't have had it any other way. I am so grateful for our friends that came and visited us even if they could only see Walker through a glass window. Cory, Kelsey, Harlee, Ryan, Alicia, Lauren, Steve, Vanessa, and of course my wonderful parents. Thank You Thank You!!! We look back at our experience and feel so blessed and so loved! WE LOVED THE HOSPITAL!!! I was sad to leave!  Every time I drive by Timpanogos Regional all those feelings come back and I cant wait to do it again! I love Walker SO much and couldn't imagine my life without him. He has made me want to be the best mom I could be and has made me strive to be a better person. January 29, 2011 changed mine and Brandons life for the best FOREVER!!! xoxo


good hubby

feeling good now...eating my ice chips and texting away :)

Best dad around

It was a disaster!!

Trying to finish Walkers blankie :)




LOVED my nurses and Dr Judd

first family picture!

SO sad :( never saw him in there but Brandon took this picture. had no idea he was hooked up to so many things!

love this picture

his IV in his little head :(

such a good Grammie then and still is
so smallllll


1 comment:

  1. What a sweet story! Giving birth is crazy! Epidural are the best! You looked great! I didn't know he was in the nicu! So sad...

    ReplyDelete